13 Jul How can you tell if Digest-it® for Dairies is working?
Depending on the thickness of the surface crust, a number of physical and chemical changes can be observed in ponds within four to six weeks of treatment with Digest-it®. These effects vary greatly according to the individual characteristics of the pond, but include:
- Increased aerobic microbial activity
- Dissolving of the surface crust
- Reduced turbidity and increased liquids-to-solids ratio in pond due to digestion of dissolved and suspended solids
- Bubbling due to increased microbial fermentation of volatile solids and the associated formation of carbon dioxide
- Formation of “bolls”, i.e. clumps of solids released from the pond bottom
- Reduced odour, thereby providing a more pleasant environment for workers, family and neighbours